Wednesday 9 November 2011

Cover story

I got this book a couple of years ago in a second hand book shop without knowing anything about it just on the strength of the cover alone. As a fan of 70's art and design it imediately struck me. I loved all the eerie shades of green and the typeface they've used for the title.


It took me a while to get around to reading it, but once I did I was totally drawn into this very atmospheric tale about a begger turned apprentice in a mill where everything is not as it seems.

After a quick bit of research afterward I found out that it is widely regarded as a modern classic, and has been in print since it was first published in 1971 in a variety of languages. Its been adapted into a Czech animated film in 1977 and a German live action film in 2008.

This edition was published in 1974

No comments:

Post a Comment